Skip to main content

If an employer presents a written statement to the State regarding false allegations is this LIBEL under Sec § 73.001 in Texas?

Houston, TX |

Employee dismissed for alleged forgery of a document. The document was not produced to anyone and was not intended to go out without the express written consent via e-mail of the parties involved. E-mail exists to prove permission was asked to send new doc - respondent of e-mail later denies correspondence exists. Employee was out due to illness and the document was confiscated by office manager who presented it to partner while employee was out ill. When employee returns - he is immediately dismissed for alleged forgery. The employer then presents a written statement of this alleged act to the TUC so that benefits are denied. Proof exists of the alleging parties involvement of malicious intent to defame and get the employee fired via e-mails and documented conversations.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Your former employer had an absolute legal right to contest your application for unemployment benefits, and to state the underlying circumstances and reasons for its actions and judgments in terminating you. You cannot sue for the positions and arguments taken by your former employer in the unemployment proceeding.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.


Doesn't look like you have a valid claim as your employer had a right to object.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at


Your employer has the right to do this.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer