Skip to main content

If am a legal alien resident with past criminal history should i b worry bout immigration hold if i go on a cruise?

Orlando, FL |

Am wanting to go on a cruise with my family, when i was 18 -20 i had some legal trouble dui, under the influence of drug, shoplifting, am 35 now i have never went outside of usa am scared my resident and passport are up to date am concern that if i travel ill get a immigration hold for past criminal background

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


take all of your criminal dispositionss to an experienced immigration attorne for a complete discussion

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.


You will be subject to the grounds of inadmissibility if you travel on your cruise. Upon attempting to re-enter the U.S. you could be stopped at the port of entry and placed in removal proceedings and you may be seen as an arriving alien, even if you are right now a lawful permanent resident.

If you see an attorney he or she likely will advise you unfortunately not to travel outside the U.S. If you want further advice and counsel, seek consultation with an excellent attorney and please do so before you travel.

If you want to figure out how to remedy the situation an immigration attorney may be able to assist you with either applying for naturalization, if appropriate, or trying to get the convictions vacated for immigration purposes but this may not be possible,

No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication. To contact this attorney see his profile; attorney number: 281-733-2875.


You likely would be put in deportation proceedings if found inadmissible. Contact and sit down with an immigration attorney ASAP.


Whether you are inadmissible will depend upon the specific criminal offenses you were arrested for and convicted of. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review your case and advise you what to expect.

While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for general information purposes only and an attorney/client relationship is neither intended nor created. You should seek out qualified counsel to review your case and provide you with advice specific to your situation. Call +1-561-478-5353 to schedule a consultation with Mr. Devore.


you should schedule an appointment with an immigration attorney as soon as possible. You may have issues upon return to the United States. Further, you may have issues, even if you do not depart the United States based on the limited information you have provided.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer