Skip to main content

If a US citizen marries in Mexico, to a Mexican citizen, how long will it take for the Mexican citizen to become US legalized?

San Diego, CA |

The husband is a US citizen who married in Mexico to his wife who is a Mexican citizen. How long will it take for her to be able to come to the US legally with husband?

+ Read More

Filed under: Immigration US visas
Attorney answers 2


It is impossible to predict because so much depends upon how quickly the government processes the applications. In my experience if there are no complications you are looking at time frame of approximately 1 year. However, to make the process as efficient as possible, I would recommend hiring an attorney. Please feel free to give me a call and I will give you a free consultation.
Nick Misiti
Misiti Global, PLLC.
716 830 7960


While I agree that predicting the exact duration of visa processing is not an exact science, you can give estimates. If all of the paperwork is filed correctly for a CR-1 visa, then the process usually takes about 10-12 months and could be shorter or longer depending on your state of residence, the volume of visa petitions in Mexico, your ability to obtain supporting documents, etc. If time is of the essence, one of the best ways to ensure that your petition is filed properly, thereby avoiding timely delays, is by hiring an experienced immigration attorney.

Sarah M. Cross
The Law Office of Sarah M. Cross
Serving Clients in All 50 States
800-681-2311 or 810-225-0953 email

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer