If a stool broke causing injury to ones back while injail would the jail be able to be held accountable?

Warner Robins, GA |

he was sitting on the stool it broke at the welds and he hit the floor on his back it made his back swell they quickly welded the stool back and gave him tylonol but not willing to look any further into this

He needs two lawyers, one of course for his criminal case.

The second would be a personal injury lawyer. There are very strict time deadlines and notice requirements for a suit against a city, county or state, so this is an IMMEDIATE need.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Yes there is definitely a claim there. Very specific time limits apply. Please be sure to hire a lawyer quickly to get to work on this for you.

There is no way to say there is a definite claim - worth pursuing - based on your post, as you did not tell us the damages. Other than swelling and temporary discomfort, what are the actual injuries? Are there doctor bills, or other expenses, or long term injuries that need medical attention? Falling and experiencing a little pain, scrapes or bruising is not a case many good lawyers will take and really is not worth much, if anything at all.

He should retain a local civil rights lawyer to investigate a claim.