Skip to main content

If a spouse file for and is granted a divorce w/o your knowlege how do you file a claim for support

San Diego, CA |

we were married in california in 1986,we seperated in 1998 i went home to my parents.we have two kids,he didn't want to pay support for he gave up his parental rights at will early on.left us penniless,he recently retired from the military after 24yrs.of the begining every thing was at a dead end,i couldn't get any help or answers. shortly after giving up parental rights the allotments stopped.throughout the yrs.i've felt helpless and angry that he has gotten away with this.i recently found out that there is a possibility we are already divorce,he has always known my whereabouts since the day i left

the reason i left him was because of abuse,his cheating with the woman he is now with and abandonment.i've lived in my home state Louisiana for the last 12yrs.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You need to ask a Louisiana lawyer, as this is the state that has jurisdiction over your kids. As a thought, perhaps child support services there can help. In California a parent cannot voluntarily terminate parental rights in order to avoid supporting children. See an LA attorney.

Best of luck to you.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "thumbs-up" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated.

This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, does not create an attorney/client relationship and does not create a right to continuing email exchanges.


Ms. Main is correct. See an attorney in Louisiana immediately. Also look in the county where your ex lived in California and find out if a divorce was ever filed. You could have the LA attorney contact him and find out if he ever filed papers.

If this information is helpful to you, please check the thumbs up button below.

Please be aware that any comments that I have made are preliminary and tentative and not based upon a thorough analysis of your case. I would need additional information and review the exact documentation to be sure of the above advice. The answer above does not create an attorney/client relationship and does not require me to answer any future questions.