Skip to main content

If a ship is in a dry dock is it state work comp or USL&H?

Long Beach, CA |

I am sure there are probably some exceptions but who would more than likely have Jurisdiction over injury on a ship in Dry Dock?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

This website appears to provide an answer to your question although it is not legal authority:
“The Longshore Harbor Worker's Compensation Act, more commonly referred to as USL&H, is a federal act which provides employee benefits similar to State Act Workers Compensation to an employee engaged in maritime employment if any injury or death occurs upon navigable waters of the United States including any adjoining pier, wharf, dry dock, terminal, building way, marine railway, or other adjoining area customarily used by an employer in loading, unloading, repairing, dismantling or building a vessel.
State Act Workers Compensation programs do not cover these types of employees and jurisdiction for USL&H falls under the United States Department of Labor. Compared to State Act programs, USL&H claims are subject to a more generous benefits schedule, compressed reporting schedules and increased penalties and fines for noncompliance. “

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


Best question I've seen posted on avvo in a long time....I have no idea what the answer it but i suspect it is USL&H. There are several attorneys in the Long Beach area that handle both CA w.c. and USL&H. Call one of them and they should know the answer. Sorry i can't give more help.


This can be a complicated area of the law. You should consult with an attorney. Please feel free to contact our office in Long Beach for a consultation or referral. 800-809-8848