If a settlement offer is turned down dose the person who says no to the offer, will that person have to pay the legal bills of

West Palm Beach, FL |

slip and fall case -settlement offered person turn down. will this person have to pay the other sides legal bills if the jury offers not more than 25% of the last offer?

Possibly, yes. Ask your lawyer if there has been a "Statutory Offer of Settlement" under Florida Statute 768.79 and Rule 1.442.

Discuss this with your attorney.

The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. I am only licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and I am not providing you with specific legal advice. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Being general in nature, the information provided may not apply to any specific factual and/or legal set of circumstances and/or the jurisdiction where you reside. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. The information provided is of a general nature is not intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney, especially an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Your question, although you may believe is simple, it is not simple. You require legal advice, please consult with a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.

Your attorney in Florida should know the answer to this question. If he or she doesn't know, then find a lawyer here on avvo.com and schedule a consult as soon as possible. Good luck with it.

The information provided herein is for informational purposes and should not be construed to establish an attorney client relationship. To establish such a relationship, the prospective client would need to meet with me in person, and have a detailed discussion about all the facts and circumstances surrounding your case.

You really should have a sit-down meeting with your current attorney and ask him/her to describe for you how the process works and what happens if a person turns down the settlement offer. Your attorney should be more than willing to discuss this with you. If not, you should strongly consider getting another attorney. Best of luck.

Mr. Crosner is licensed to practice law in California and has been practicing law in California since 1978. The response herein is general legal and business analysis.. It is not intended nor construed to be "legal advice" but rather it is analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

If the proposal for settlement was filed properly and there is a trial and the award to the person is not at least 75% of that proposal, then yes. Your attorney should be explaining this to you, however.

Perhaps. Avvo has a terrific "find a lawyer" tool to find a top-rated Avvo lawyer (10.0) with a low contingency fee (less than 30%) close to your home.

that would be accurate if the defendant made the offer through what is called a Proposal for Settlement. your attorney should provide you with all of this information and the amount of money you would have to net in order to beat that proposal