If a petition to adjust status is withdrawn, is affidavit of support automatically withdrawn also?

Atlanta, GA |

I filed I - 130 ( application to adjust status ) for my wife and when we responded to appointment for interview , they found she was in violation of the foreign residency requirement law . We were advised to either withdraw the application all together or it will be simply denied by the officer . We chose to withdraw . If the petition / application was withdrawn , was my affidavit of support automatically withdrawn also ? If not what , what should I do to withdraw it ? I had called the LUSCIOUS and they told me that only the applicant can inquire about the status of affidavit of support because that is her file . What should I do to withdraw it ?

The I-864 is not relevant anymore if the visa petition (I-130) or adjustment application (I-485) is withdrawn.

If you read Form I-864 on Page 8, it explains clearly that the I-864 is a binding contract if, and only if, the intending immigrant becomes a permanent resident.

Because you have withdrawn the I-485, the intending immigrant is NOT becoming a U.S. Citizen. Therefore, the I-864 contract is null and void. You don't need to withdraw it, because it's rendered void by the withdrawal of the I-485.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

If the I-485 application to adjust status (NOT the I-130--that's the immigrant relative petition) was withdrawn, then there is no application on which to base enforcement of the affidavit.

Residency requirements (the two year return requirement) apply only to some J visa holders, but not all, and the requirement can be waived under certain circumstances. Check with a lawyer to see what the your wife's situation is as LUSCIOUS (thank you for the laugh!) doesn't always get it right and doesn't alway give good--or even accurate advice.

This answer provides only general information and may not be relied on as legal advice. For more information about immigration law and policy, please visit www.lichterimmigration.com or follow us on twitter (@lauralichter) or facebook, www.facebook/lichterimmigration. To find an immigration lawyer in your area, log on to www.ailalawyer.com. Listed attorneys have been members of the American Immigration Lawyers Association, the nation's premier bar association for immigration lawyers, for at least two years, comply with annual continuing legal education (CLE) requirements and carry malpractice insurance.

Sorry about the typo. I do not know why the computer changed USCIS that strange word. Thank you for the great comment.

In addition to the responses provided by other attorneys, note that the need to withdraw the I-130/I-485 application package or risk denial could have been avoided had your family been represented by an immigration attorney. An attorney would have addressed the issue from the outset to determine whether a need to return abroad - application to some J-1 visas - actually applied and if so, whether it could be waived, prior to filing the case.

Regarding the Affidavit of Support itself, it becomes part of a binding contractual arrangement between the U.S. government and the affiant when the government relies upon it in approving an adjustment of status case; where the adjustment of status application has been withdrawn, the potential contract is never consummated.

[Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

David N. Soloway
Frazier, Soloway & Kennedy, P.C.
1800 Century Place, Suite 100
Atlanta, Georgia 30345 www.fspklaw.com
404-320-7000 * 1-877-232-5352 * dsoloway@fspklaw.com

[Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.] David N. Soloway Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C. 1800 Century Place, Suite 100 Atlanta, Georgia 30345 www.fspklaw.com 404-320-7000 * 1-877-232-5352 * dsoloway@fspklaw.com