Skip to main content

If a person pleads guilty and is given community service

New York, NY |

If a person pleads guilty i.e for carrying a small sharp weapon and is given community service as a punishment and wasn't carried out in the higher courts. Is this known as being convicted or not?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


It depends on what charge you were ultimately convicted of. If it was the original charge, you would have a criminal record. If it was a reduced charge, you may not have a criminal record. Get a certificate of disposition.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.


It depends if you plead guilty as charged to criminal possession of a weapon, a misdemeanor, or if you had the charge reduced to a violation.


The question is not clear. If the plea was to a non-criminal charge then there is no criminal record. Check your certificate of disposition. Good luck.

I have been a criminal attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Phone #: 718-208-6094 email: This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.


Yes. It sounds as if you were convicted by plea of Criminal Possession of a Weapon 4th degree, an A misdemeanor.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.