Skip to main content

If a person is arrested on new federal charges will he go back to state prison 1st on the PV before serving his federal time ?

Orange, CA |

In this example the person arrested has an old PV warrant for walking away from parole years ago. No arrests till now. He turned himself into the FBI on the federal charges.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

The person will remain in federal custody at least until the federal charges are resolved. If the state parole detainer remains pending at the completion of the federal case, or the federal sentence if there is a conviction and a term or imprisonment is imposed, he will be transferred into state custody.

Joshua Sabert Lowther, Esq.


Probably, but the feds can take him if they want him.


If he is convicted federally, the potential exists that he might serve both sentences consecutively. Make certain that if this occurs that you attempt to get any time served to become concurrent time.

Have the person hire a local federal criminal lawyer immediately.

Curt Harrington Patent & Tax Law Attorney Certified Tax Specialist by the California Board of Legal Specialization PATENTAX.COM This communication is general information and not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This communication should not be relied upon as any type of legal advice. Please note that no attorney-client relationship exists between the sender and the recipient of this message in the absence of either (1) a signed fee contract and (2) remission of an agreed-upon retainer. Absent such an agreement and retainer, I am not engaged by you as an attorney, nor is any other member of my law firm.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer