Avvo Questions & Answers

Get the legal answers you need from licensed attorneys.


If a person in custody overturns his conviction by habeas in state courts and then sues in Federal, would he be barred?

This question is based around the doctrine of Res Judicata or Collateral Estoppel for a person "in custody" seeking habeas relief in state courts. The situation is as follows........ A person "in custody" seeks petition by habeas to reverse his conviction (and constitutional and/or state claims are litigated in state court) and his conviction is ultimately reversed. He then files a Federal Lawsuit seeking damages for those claims litigated in state court, thus also satisfying Heck v Humphrey, but will he barred from litigating those claims in Federal Court by the above doctrines?

| 1 answer

Sponsored Listings

Sponsored Listings

Loading content