Skip to main content

If a person in a accident is given a general release from insurance company can the party receive a civil sue from the victim?

Buford, GA |

Just wanted to know from the above question

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


Typically, the answer is no. There are circumstances where a limited liability release is given and the injured party still sues the defendant to claim uninsured motorist benefits. However, a general release would be a release of all claims against those persons listed in the release.

The above is just my opinion based upon the limited facts provided. It is not intended to be offered as legal advice nor is it intended to establish an attorney client relationship. You should seek a consultation either in person or over the phone to discuss any legal issue that you may have raised.


Generally no, but there are some exceptions.


A properly worded full release from the other party is designed to prevent suit. Without seeing the release language and whether it is a limited or full release, etc., there's no way to answer you.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


Usually no, but there are exceptions. Re-reread the Release that you signed.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.


The release would need to be reviewed.


I agree with atty. Sexton's advice you. For your own piece of mind, I would pay an atty. for an hour and have him dissect and explain all the clauses in the agreement to you.

Disclaimer: This response is provided to you for educational and informational purposes only and no attorney-client relationship has been created hereby. Other attorneys may have different opinions or responses. If you found this response helpful, please indicate Best Answer to Avvo. Thank you.


In order to appropriately answer this question, there would need to be more information provided. There are different types of releases in Georgia and therefore no attorney can accurately give you an answer to this question without actually seeing the release.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer