Skip to main content

If a parent lies about a child's age and creates a Facebook account for a child that is nine years old, is this neglect?

Fort Worth, TX |

My husband and I have custody of my step-daughter and I recently was told by my step-daughter that her biological mom created her a Facebook page account and I got really upset and told my husband I was going to file charges on neglect and abuse. Is this possible? I don't even have a Facebook account because I do not only have time, but do not trust what is put on there or trust people to use their best judgement. So I want to know if I can use this against her mom in court. I mean my step-daughter can be chatting and meet a pervert or something online and won't even know it. Now what i did the day before yesterday was create an account with a fictitious name just to get into her page. Some of her so called friends have things on their pages which she should not be seeing.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You and your husband are well-advised to monitor and talk to your step-daughter's mom about the child's online presence but I do not think it rises to the level of neglect. It is certainly not worth the hostility that would be caused between your husband and his daughter's mother to report this to anyone.

If your husband is unsuccessful in getting his daughter's mother to appropriately limit and monitor the child's access to Facebook and the Internet, he might want to talk to a family law attorney about filing for modification of the mother's parenting plan in order to impose reasonable limitations.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your area who regularly practices in the subject matter which your question is about. You should develop an attorney client relationship with the lawyer of your choice so that your communications will be subject to the attorney client privilege and have the other benefits of a professional relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific matter as partially described in the question.


I absolutely agree with Attorney Rich. You might also consider talking to your daughter about parameters for safe social media usage. Here is a great link on social media contracts for families:

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer