Skip to main content

If a parent has been denied access to there child at school and there is no court order can u sue the school district?

Philadelphia, PA |

The parent is being put of for a couple of weeks by the school by not allowing the parent to gain access to the child on school grounds. The parent has not previously been active n the child's life but is now trying to bridge the gap. The LOCO PARENTIS person who has been caring for the child wishes for the other parent not to be involved in any way. However there is no court order what so ever. The school seems to be taking the LOCO PARENTIS person to favor and is delaying the other parent access. The school counselor asked if she could speak with the child first. She already has been given that opportunity but still no access. The question is can you sue the school and the school district for denying the parent access ? There is absolutely no stay away order or court order. They r wrong.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


It could very well be school policy to limit access for safety reasons regardless of whom is trying to enter the school. (after all they can't have people randomly wandering the premises). Most schools at minimum have visiting hours for times to see the children. Contact the local school and find out their visitation policy. As far as being active in the child's life, maybe outside of school would be a better choice such as lunch if the school permits it.

The response does not form an attorney-client relationship. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Pennsylvania. Responses are based solely on Pennsylvania law unless stated otherwise.

Reed Law Office
212 West Gay Street
West Chester, PA 19380

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer