Skip to main content

If a minor in the United States is being stalked, harassed, and cyber-"raped" by a person in Australia, is it illegal?

Roswell, GA |

The minor lives in Arizona, she gets harassed on skype by a man who lives in Australia, who won't take "No" for an answer. He tries to add her under a random skype pseudonym to evade the blocking system, and if she accepts he attempts to video call her. If successful, he tries to show her his penis, whether she wants to see it or not. He has a history if trying to force other woman to see it, as well, but such parties were of age and were not minors. Are there any international laws that can bring this man to justice?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

I am sure what the stalker is doing is illegal under Australian laaw as well as U.S. law. Unfortunately, the international situation makes this somewhat hard to deal with.

Your local police might be willing to contact his local police to make a personal visit to tell them to cut it out. They Austrailian police may even be willing to go further as this is a minor they are dealing with.

You could hire a lawyer to write a cease and desist letter to the stalker - it has lillte legal force, but could threaten serious criminal & civil sanctions.

Finally, I know the youth of today do not know their electronics have an off button, but my suggestion is to turn skype off until the stalker finds another fish to fry.

This post is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice specific to you. This general information is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney in your jurisdiction. The attorney client relationship is not established by this post.



Thank you! This was very helpful. :)


Call both the FBI, the police in Australia, and the folks at Microsoft, which owns Skype.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer