Skip to main content

If a lawyer can practice in your state does that mean they can practice in any court within that state?

West Palm Beach, FL |

For instance , if a personal injury case happened in a particular county , can any lawyer that can practice in the state of Florida bring a suit into that particular county ? If a case goes to trial within that particular county is that lawyer allowed to be in that court ? I look at a lawyer's resume and they mention things such as admitted to practice in u . s . district court , southern district , or middle district , or all three districts . Some mention appeals court and a specific circuit . I'm not quite familiar with all the courts and how this is significant in choosing an appropriate lawyer for a case .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


My opinion is that you want to focus first on the subject matter of a case, and get someone who is fluent in the area of law required to move you towards a solution. Talk with them (attorneys often give free initial consultations) to make sure you are a personality fit with them, and ask them if they can help you. Mention the court question, and listen to their answer.

Good luck!

The above is not intended to be legal advice, but may be used for general information. Please contact an attorney for specific help tailored to your needs.


An attorney licensed in Florida is allowed to practice in any state court, meaning all county and circuit courts. If the case is Federal, he or she must be licensed in the specific district (Northern, Middle, or Southern) unless they are admitted pro hac vice, which means that they are allowed in for a specific case.


Yes. Any Florida licensed attorney can bring suit in any Florida Court court. Unless it is a Federal case. In that sitution they would have to be admitted in the district court mentioned in the above response.


Any attorney licensed to practice law in the State of Florida may practice in any state court in Florida. Federal Court requires that an attorney pass a test and be certified to practice in that Court. So when you see Southern District or Middle District or Northern District, that refers to Federal Court. So if you are comfortable with a lawyer, he or she can represent you in any court in the State. Good luck


Generally if you are admitted to practice in the State, you can practice before all state tribunals. The federal courts may require specific admissions to their jurisdiction and, in some, such as the Southern District of Florida, in order to appear at trial, you must not only be admitted to practice before the Court, but you must be a member of the Trial Bar of the District Court.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Any lawyer with a license in good standing from the Florida Bar can practice in any state court (as opposed to Federal court) throughout Florida. However, a lawyer with a license in good standing from the Florida Bar, can practice within the United States District Courts in Florida (Northern District, Middle District, and Southern District) only by requesting and being granted permission by that particular District Court. The standards differ from district to district, and they can even require special admission to the "trial bar" of the district to perform certain actions.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer