Skip to main content

If a immigrant with a green card divorces another immigrant,..but is suppose to wait 90 days before she can remarry,.but she re

Torrington, CT |

but she remarries in 89 days before the 90 is up,. is her remarriage to an American legal?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If the law of the state where the marriage is entered is that one must wait 90 days, and the marriage is invalid under that law, then it is also invalid under immigration law. If the marriage becomes validated by removal of that impediment, it become valid under immigration law as well.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


You should look to the law in the State (or country) where you remarried for the answer. If the State that you remarried in says you must wait 90 days after a divorce to remarry, then it is very likely that the new marriage may not be valid for immigration purposed. Go see an experienced immigration lawyer in your State because I'm sure this has been a common issue there.

Abraham B. Cardenas, Esquire Cardenas Law Firm, P.C. Florida Office Address: Cardenas Law Firm, LLC 8150 SW 8th Street, Suite 122 Miami, Florida 33144 (786) 347-1605 Pennsylvania Office Address: Cardenas Law Firm, P.C. 18 S George Street, Suite 615 York, PA 17401 (717) 854-6400 Office Phone (866) 353-5570 Fax Number (English) (Spanish) The posting on this web site for viewing by potential clients or others interested in learning about legal topics does not create an attorney-client relationship. The fact that an attorney may informally answer general E-Mail questions does not create an attorney-client relationship. Attorney Abraham B. Cardenas is licensed to practice only in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and practices immigration law throughout the United States. This web post is for informational purposes only. An attorney-client relationship is formed only after the potential client meets with an attorney AND has paid the appropriate retainer fee.