Skip to main content

IF a Default judgement is granted in the state of Texas can they go after you checking and savings accounts?

Dallas, TX |

I know that they can't garnish my wages and that this is not a federal debt so not much that they can do unless I sell my house in which I believe that they can get their money out of whatever money I get out of the house correct? Or if I am given some sort of inheritance I believe that they can get their money out of that but I am not sure. Please respond, This is a Credit Card debt.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Sounds like you need a knowledgeable consumer law attorney in your area. In my state, Washington, a judgment creditor can garnish wages, levy bank accounts, put a lien on your house, and force the sale of assets. Texas law may be different, but you definitely need good legal advice to know what's at risk.

The answers to these questions may be different depending on your individual circumstance and should not be considered as legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.


Ms. Rodriguez's advice is sound. Oregon is the same, but don't know about Texas.

Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662. Please be aware that each answer on this website is based upon the facts, or lack thereof, provided in the question. To be sure you get complete and comprehensive answers, based upon the totality of your situation, contact a local attorney who specializes in the area of law that involves your legal problem. Diane L. Gruber has been practicing law in Oregon for 26 years, specializing in family law, bankruptcy, estate planning and probate. Note: Diane L. Gruber does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and Diane L. Gruber, and the fee listed in the agreement has been paid.


Consumer credit card creditors can garnish your checking and savings accounts if they have a valid default judgment. All they really need to know is where you bank.

This general opinion DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. No communication can ever replace the specific advice of a lawyer. Each person's situation is different, and additional facts can change legal outcomes. You should consult privately with a lawyer if you have a question about a legal dispute.