Skip to main content

If a company makes a written promise and doesn't follow through, what are the legal options?

Rochester, NY |

A health care company stated in a letter that they would reimburse specific expenses that had been in dispute, but weeks later they have not. The amount is greater than small claims handles. What are the legal options? How long is reasonable to wait? Would attorney expenses be recoverable? What type of attorney is appropriate?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

You can sue in civil court or file a complaint with the appropriate government agency that governs the health care company.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


I would need to know a few more facts. But, generally, assuming the reimbursement would be considered wages, you could sue under Article 6 of the Labor Law and receive attorneys fees, and potentially a penalty which would double the amount of wages owed. You need a labor and employment lawyer.

PLEASE READ THIS DISCLAIMER * I very much like to offer my advice and guidance to those in need. It is why I became a lawyer. However, please note that I have not been engaged to be your lawyer so my advice is general in nature. Certainly, if you would like, please feel free to email or call me to further discuss the particulars of your situation (as many times it is not a good idea to provide a lot of information about your case on a public forum). * Hacker Murphy, LLP * 518.213.0115 * * * Hacker Murphy serves clients throughout New York State (including New York City and Long Island). *


Depends on the language of the letter that forms the "promise". An attorney would need to see the document to begin to advise you.

Sue. Negotiate. Both.

Reasonable to wait for what?

Attorney expenses MAY be recoverable.
A litigator with expertise litigating with health care providers.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I am providing educational instruction only--not legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer