If a attorney refuses to give me copies of everything in my file, what is the best line of action for me to take

Arlington, TX |

if I request all paperwork - subpoenas, accusers phone records, letters from phone company, etc. and my attorney denies them to me or threatens to withdraw from my case, what is the absolute best line of action to take to make him/her comply without with my request, so that they can't withdraw and without having to go to the state bar ?

It depends on why your lawyer does not want to give you the documents. You may have a right to copies or there may be a court order preventing disclosure on third party privacy issues. You may be creating a conflict with your lawyer that will force the lawyer to withdraw. Before you do anything hasty, you should sit down with another lawyer and go over the details of what is going on. Since you say "accuser" I assume this is a criminal matter and I have changed the practice area.

This is not legal advice. You should always discuss the specifics of your issue in person with an attorney. Be aware that there are time limits on all claims that depend on the kind of claim, so do not delay in seeking an attorney.

thank you for your feedback and time. I have actually tried to talk to other lawyers, but so far they have told me that because I have an attorney they could not discuss my case with me, but that if I want to fire my attorney and schedule a consultation with them they would be glad to do that.

Richard Kurt Arbuckle

Richard Kurt Arbuckle

Many lawyers have the misconception that they cannot "interfere" with the attorney client relationship. However, it is clear in Texas that you can talk to another lawyer while you are represented by a different lawyer. What may be happening is that the new lawyer doesn't want to get involved, especially for no fee. (Even we lawyers need to pay our bills.) I am not sure why you want to keep your current lawyer if things have deteriorated to the extent you have talked to other lawyers. I am not a criminal defense lawyer, so I really have given all the advice I can. Good luck.

You can't prevent him from filing a motion to withdraw. The judge may not grant it if you are on your fourth attorney. The only entity that can hold the attorney accountable is the stat bar. I would send him a certified letter demanding a complete copy of your file.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.

thank you very much,is helpful.