Skip to main content

If i am 16 and my boyfriend is 21 will he go to jail if we live in florida?

Lakeland, FL |

we like each other alot but he dosent push me or even ask for anything more then a hug or a kiss i want to make sure we are legally allowed to date of if we got pulled over or stoped somewhere publically could he go to jail? what if someone calls in on him could he go then if we are with in thoughs year of age 16-23. i dont want to put his future at risk just for us to date.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Dating is not illegal.

Legally, a 16 year old can date a 21 year old. Legally, a 16 year old can engage in sexual activity with a 21, 22, or 23 year old person.

But the minute the person turns 24, it becomes a second degree felony if that person engages in sexual activity with a 16 or 17 year old person.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-354-5223. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.


You and he are skating on thin ice. You can consent to sexual activity at 16 and as long as he is under 24 and you consent then you are legally (although in my opinion neither ethically or morally) safe. Once he hits 24 then he can't be touching you, regardless of your wishes.

I suggest that you find yourself a nice young man and that he find himself an adult woman. There are too many people on this planet for either of you to risk this relationship.

Whatever you do remember that when he turns 24 then it's game on for law enforcement.

First, second and third: No attorney-client relationship exists by virtue of any Q&A with Michael A. Haber, Esq. on Avvo. Fourth: Anything that you post on Avvo (or on similar sites) or on any social media is by its nature public. It is essentially an admission / confession and can be introduced into evidence as a statement against your interest in a subsequent legal proceeding. Once posted you lose any reasonable expectation of privacy, so, as this is an open forum (with no privilege attached), please be extra careful when considering what to post online (forewarned is forearmed.)


I agree with my colleague that you are skating on very thin ice. I would be careful. It may be wise to find someone closer to your age who you don't need to ask if it is legal to date.

Good luck to you.

Any answer given is for general reference and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. For a more detailed answer based on the facts of your case, contact Greater Tampa Law, P.L. at (813) 444-2244 for a consultation.


I agree with my colleagues. However, I question the wisdom of such an arrangement. Good luck.

Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.


It is another sign of the silly and capricious times we are living in that our legislature picks even more absurd and arbitrary ages when sex becomes a crime, and it's not YOUR age that does it, but HIS!!! Crazy, huh? Anyway, all the lawyers are of course correct that it is dangerous for you to be doing this. My own opinion is you ought to stay away from him until you're 18. That makes the criminal side safe but it also helps if you're a little older for other reasons as well..

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer