Skip to main content

I would like to sell my forex signal. The signal will be delivered by a tradecopy software. Do i need regulation?

Boston, MA |

Do i need financial license to sell my Forex Signal via tradecopy software online? The signal is free i charge to cost of the tradecopy server and the software.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


I am making a guess that this has something to do with intellectual property and have re-classified the question accordingly.

Disclaimer: This site exists to provide information only. It is not legal advice. Answering your question does not create an attorney-client relationship. I am a Massachusetts lawyer. Any information provided on this site does not, except as explicitly stated, imply familiarity with laws or procedures peculiar to your state which may differ from those where I practice.


You will need to retain the services of intellectual property counsel to ascertain whether you can use or sell your forex signal without violating copyrights, patents or other third party IP rights. You may need one or more licenses, but none of us answer this based on the bare bones information contained in your question.


I don't know whether a license is required to sell Forex Signals. You should spend, however, sometime reviewing the information about Forex scams at the Commodity Futures Trading Commission website and then speak with a financial services attorney.

The above is general information ONLY and is not legal advice, does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should NOT be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney. You should seek the advice of competent counsel before taking any action related to your inquiry.


This is a very complex question that will require information that should be shared face-to-face with a commodities regulation attorney. The question you have really comes down to whether your sale of the signal program to others constitutes investment advice (as per SEC) or triggers registration requirements under the NFA/CFTC regulations. What the program does and how it may be used will determine in great part what needs to be done. And echoing the others who have already answered, you will need some intellectual property guidance as well.

The foregoing is not legal advice nor is it in any manner whatsoever meant to create or impute an attorney/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer