Skip to main content

I would like to know what my rights are when I file for divorce from my wife.

Everett, WA |

We are married 4 years and have no kids. We sold a home in Surprise, AZ and collected $22,000 from the sale. I paid all the bills and the mortgage. Here in WA, I pay all the bills and the rent. She believes she is entitled to the remainder of what is left from the home proceeds. I have received very little amount of money from her cover the bills. My goal is to get out of this marriage and start anew. We currently rent a condo in Everett, WA and are under lease until the end of February 2015.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


We cannot advise you as to what we think will happen and what you should do on a message board. There is so much more to this. Since there are assets you should probably hire an attorney.


You have the right to have your marriage dissolved. You have the right to a just and equitable division of all assets and debts.

If you are working but the wife is not, you likely would be ordered to pay spousal maintenance for at least the next few months as the court likely would find the wife needs the support to get back on her feet. If she has been working for all or most of the four years of the marriage, she likely would not get spousal maintenance.

Depending on how long ago the house sale occurred, there may not be much of the "$22,000 from the sale" left.

What you should do is review the specific facts with your attorney to find out your legal options.

Thuong-Tri Nguyen

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer