Skip to main content

I would like to get hold of a government lawyer to proceed with my divorce case in NY as i have limited income. Pls suggest.

Jamaica, NY |
Attorney answers 3


There is no such thing as "government lawyer" in a divorce case. You may be able to find a "pro bono" lawyer (someone in private practice who is willing to handle your case without charge) by calling the Queens County Bar Assoc.

It is always advisable to contact an attorney. For a consultation, please contact our office at 516-669-3295. We are located in West Babylon, NY and proudly offer very low rates and free consultations. For more information, please see our website: <a href="">Long Island Divorce Lawyer Louis Sternberg.</a>


You're out of luck. You can get assigned or reduced fee attorneys for custody matters, but not for a divorce, unless you qualify for legal aid which gives preference of their overwhelming workload to battered women. You will need to finance the fees or borrow money from friends or relatives which is the realistic alternative, unfortunately.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.


There are no free lawyers for matrimonial cases. Try local law school clinics.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.