Skip to main content

I would like my attorney to write a letter to my three children explaining the rationale for my move to a retirement community.

Newport Beach, CA |

I would like professional support for my decision showing that this decision is in the best interests of us all. Professional letterhead would go a long way to reassuring them that this is not a crackpot decision on my part.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


After a consultation with an attorney, I am sure your attorney will write such a letter on your behalf provided, of course, it's not a "crackpot decision." Use the "Find a Lawyer" function here on Avvo to locate an attorney near you. You might want to pick an older attorney, as opposed to a younger one -- perhaps one that lives in a retirement community.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice or counsel. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


I won't assume that there would be any confusion or conflict caused by your plans, but I presume that your children are adults and that this is an estate planning measure more than a family law one.


You are entitled to make crackpot decisions-- despite what the TV and movies may seem to say. Unless there is indue influence/fraud by a brand new partner in the scene-- one who is draining your assets-- you don't have to answer to your children when you decide to Leisure World or Sun City.

Ms. Straus (aka Carroll) may be reached at 800-400-8978 during regular business hours, Pacific Time, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Straus’ responses to questions posted on Avvo are intended as helpful information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are not to be relied upon as a final legal opinion. It may not be what you wished to hear, and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Straus is licensed to practice law in California. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state, and retain him or her. Me Straus provides “unbundled” services if you need specific assistance with a specific issue.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer