Skip to main content

I would like dropped a domestic violence assault charge I made. I would like to know if I could do that online?

Carrollton, TX |

He is on hold for immigration. Could it be possible if I dropped the charges they will release him or he will stay in jail?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


The decision whether to file a criminal charge is made by the prosecutor. Private citizens can report suspected crimes to law enforcement, but private citizens do not have the power to file charges. And, no, a private citizen cannot "drop" a charge on line. Your best bet would be to find out who the prosecutor is and speak with him or her and express your wish that the case be dropped.

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.


You can't do it online or anywhere else. Only the state can drop the charges. You can contact the detective assigned to the case and tell her you want it dropped. But she's almost certainly going to send it to the DA anyway. His best hope is hiring an attorney that regularly handles assault cases. They will work with you to try to get the case dismissed.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at for more information about her services and recent victories.