Skip to main content

I worked for a private company with three owners for ten years before they closed in 09 owing me 4k in back commission.

Jacksonville, FL |

I have commission sheets printed. They told me to get a lawyer. Have I waited to long? Do I have recourse to get the 4k owed to me?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


In Florida, the statute of limitations for oral contracts is four years. For written contracts, it's five years. So, either way, time is running out for you, or perhaps, it's already passed.

Whether or not you have recourse depends on the facts and circumstances of your employment arrangement -- and whether the private company was incorporated but is now dissolved.

You should reach out to an attorney and provide him with all of the details of your case, so that you can understand what your options are, if you have any.

Best of luck,
Andrew M. Bonderud, Esq.
The Bonderud Law Firm, P.A.

Andrew M. Bonderud, Esq. is an attorney The Bonderud Law Firm, P.A. He offers free consultations 24/7. You can reach him at 904-438-8082. Andrew's posting here is not to be considered legal advice nor does an attorney-client relationship exist.


As stated in the previous answer, get an experienced litigator to look at this ASAP to determine where you stand with the statute of limitations.

Legal disclaimer: I am licensed to practice law in the state of Washington and the answer provided above is for general information purposes only and should not be relied on as specific legal advice. This answer does not form an attorney-client relationship. You should consult with an attorney of your choice to fully advise you about your legal rights and obligations.


is it OK to presume the business closed because it was failing to make money and has none to pay you with?