Skip to main content

I work for 21 years saying i was an american citizen, but in reality i am illegally in the country, can i do a family petition

Orlando, FL |

My ex wife is american citizen and i plan to married her again in that way she can claim me. Is possible and how....

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


As my colleague pointed out, a false claim to U.S. citizenship most likely means you are barred from ever obtaining legal immigration status. However, certain very limited exceptions to this rule do exist and you would be well advised to have an experienced immigration lawyer review your case to determine if any of the exceptions are applicable in your case. Even if you are able to get past the false claim to U.S. citizenship issue, you would need to prove that your marriage to your ex wife is bona fide - meaning that it was not entered into solely for the purpose of securing immigration benefits. You have some very complex issues here, and this is not something you should tackle without professional help!


I am sorry to say that I must agree with my colleagues.

A false claim to US citizenship is a permanent bar from you ever being able to legally live in the US.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


I agree with Mr. Segal


I concur with my colleagues. There are a few limited exceptions for persons who have falsely claimed to be United States citizens and there are other limited possibilities of forgiveness under the immigration act for persons who falsely claimed to be United States citizens. You would be well served to set up a consultation with an immigration attorney before taking any further steps towards legalizing your status.

Contact us at:

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer