Skip to main content

I woke up in the middle of the dirt road and got charged with dui

Watkinsville, GA |

i dont reamber much about the night i reamber going to a friends with my cousin we were drinking and fishing i laid down while fishing and i woke up kind of in and out of it from a dirt road to and ambilance to a hospital i apeantly let them take a blood test but i dont reamber letting them my cousin was bleading in the brain but he appeantlyy told them i was driving wich i really dont see me doing that but i dont know but i do know i was in the road when the cops showed up well i dont know what to do cause they turned me down for a public defender i have no money i lost my job cause of the dui charge what can i do

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


You need to speak with an attorney. These appear to be very serious charges that you may have some defenses for.

Good luck.

This response is for general information only, no attorney client privilege has been established by this communication.


You need to consult with a criminal defense attorney in your area to review the court file and charging instrument. Most attorneys will work with you on the legal fee. This sounds like you need an attorney.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..


You neither remember yourself drive nor can say for sure that you were not driving. this is a problem. You have not really posed any questions. However, if this happens when you drink, you may need to speak to someone regarding your drinking.


You were turned down for a P/D because of either or both your income and assets. You do need an attorney and you need to do what you need to do to get one as soon as possible.

Darrell B. Reynolds, Sr.
Attorney and Counselor at Law

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
- William Shakespeare

NOTICE – 1) This email does not create an attorney/client relationship. In order to create an attorney/client relationship with this office it is necessary to enter into a written contract agreed to by both parties. 2) This email is intended only for the person(s) listed in the To: and CC: lines. It is not intended for anyone else and any reliance upon this email by other parties is at their own peril. 3) This e-mail, and all attachments transmitted with it, may contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged information that is intended solely for the individual(s) or entity(ies) to which it is addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, then you are not authorized to read, distribute, copy, or otherwise use any or all portions of this e-mail or any attachment. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or by telephone at 1-404-636-6616, and delete all copies of this e-mail. Thank you.


You are going to need the assistance of an experienced attorney. Therefore, you better borrow the money. This sounds like more than a DUI. You are likely to get charged with Serious Injury by Vehicle (a felony offense which typically is accompanied by prison time). Who was driving the vehicle is a question of fact for the jury to decide. There may be physical or circumstantial evidence showing that your cousin was the driver and not you. Only an experienced attorney will be able to help you with this case. Call me if I can be of assistance.

Allen R. (Rusty) Knox
125 TownPark Drive, Suite 300
Kennesaw, GA 30144
(678) 334-1399


You might be able to re-apply for a public defender if your income has changed since you last applied. Also, if you go to your arraignment without an attorney and let the judge know what is going on with you financially, they may appoint an attorney for you anyway in that jurisdiction. If you can't, you need to do whatever you can to get an attorney. A charge of serious injury by motor vehicle will follow you for a very long time, and it may be years before you are able to drive again, depending on your previous record. Also, given the facts in your case, an experienced DUI attorney could investigate the evidence from the scene and see whether or not you could avoid the charge altogether if there is no way for the state to prove that you were driving.

My Winder office is not far from Oconee County, and I would be glad to meet with you for a free consultation to discuss your options. Give us a call at 7701-307-4899.

The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base your important decisions, please contact our office directly for a free phone or in person consultation. Robert M. Gardner, Jr. Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP 53 W. Candler St. Or 718 Oak St. Winder, Ga. 30680 Gainesville, Georgia (770) 307-4899 (770) 538-0555 serving metro Atlanta and all of Northeast Georgia Bankruptcy, Divorce, Personal Injury, Worker’s Compensation, Medical Malpractice, Adoption, Civil and Criminal Litigation


YOU ARE IN A VERY SERIOUS SITUATION! Based on the information in your question a DUI charge could be the least of your worries. You could be charged with felony charges and be facing SERIOUS PRISON TIME! If your financial situation has changed since you applied for a Public Defender you should reapply. If you still don't qualify - best advise - borrow the money and hire the Best DUI Defense Attorney that is available to you!!! If you don't act to defend yourself in this case (and it appears that you have Defenses available) you could find yourself going to PRISON!!! I am not trying to scare you - well - yes I am!! Please take my advise and retain the Best DUI Defense Attorney you can - YOUR FREEDOM DEPENDS ON IT!!! Good Luck!
George McCranie IV

The information provided in this response to a question is not legal advise and is provided only for general information purposes. My response should not be taken as legal advise as no attorney / client representation exists. Additionally, the information given in this answer is specific to the State of Georgia only and should not be applied to any other state.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer