Skip to main content

I will be turning 18 soon and want to know what i have to do to be free from guardians jurisdiction?

New York, NY |

Because my parents want to send me back to school in the Dominican Republic and i don't like it here. Also isn't it turn that when a minor turns 18 she/he is free from guardians jurisdiction and i want to know how to re-instate my self back into school In new york city

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You can emancipate yourself under certain conditions.

You would be well-served to discuss your dilemma with a New York domestic relations or guardianship attorney in a confidential forum as soon as possible.


For the purposes you state, you are an adult at the age of 18. If you leave your parent's house & control before the age of 21, however, you may forfeit your right to receive financial assistance from them. Thus, you're best advised to schedule a consultation with a NYC Child Custody lawyer.

* If you found my answer to be helpful, or the "best answer," please feel free to mark it accordingly.


Depending upon our specific set of facts you may be able to self emancipate, please chat with a local NY attny, take care.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.


At 18, you can free yourself. Vaya con Dios.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer