Skip to main content

I will be 21 yrs old in july this year and a green card holder. my 5yr residency will commence in april this year.

San Francisco, CA |

question: do i need to wait my bday to apply for my citizenship or i can start applying in april as it is my 5th yr being a US resident. thanks.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You can apply 4 years 9 months after the effective date on your green card.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions. Visit us at Contact us at 713.335.5505 or email at Veronica Tunitsky offers in-person, as well as telephone and email consultations.


You can apply even sooner. That is, within 90 days of the fifth anniversary. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.


You can send in your N-400 application within 90 days (or 3 months) of the fifth anniversary of your permanent residence. The exact date is on your Permanent Resident Card. (Be careful, if it is even one day early, USCIS will bounce it back to you and you will have to send it in again).

There is much more to applying for an immigration benefit than completing forms. Unless you have training in immigration law, you are likely not even aware of all the potential pitfalls. An immigration lawyer can protect your interests and prevent you from jeopardizing the ability of anyone to eventually become a permanent resident or a U.S. citizen. Some mistakes are reversible, while some are not. Do yourself a favor and consult a professional.

If you appreciate the time spent preparing this answer, kindly consider marking it BEST ANSWER or HELPFUL. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.


I agree with my colleagues.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.


Yu can apply 90 days (or less) before the 5 year anniversary of the residence (4 years and 9 months).

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104