Skip to main content

I will apply for I-864 form as immigration sponsor what is the minimum period to put my money in my bank account

Mobile, AL |

What is the minimum period that my money should be in my bank account before I apply I-864 I am the petitioner and sponsoring my husband and child only , I have no Job just I will sell my assets in Egypt due to Egypt unrest and will put it in my US bank account I already applied for I-130 last month , it will be 5 x times 19.530 x 5 poverty-guideline

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


When filing your I-864, the NVC or USCIS will want to see proof of the cash value of your accounts. There is no telling how long you have to keep the money in your account because they very well may ask to see an updated account information sheet at the interview. You should consult with an immigration attorney to get more details on this case. You don't want to put the money in and take it out because that could be considered fraud. Consult an attorney and she'll be able to answer your question much better.

The information provided here is simply an answer to your question to the best of my knowledge. I am not your attorney and you are not my client. A true answer can only be given when an experienced attorney has read over your entire file and knows your complete history. No Attorney-Client relationship is established by this answer.


You will need to keep the money in your account until they get their green cards.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Talk to a lawyer. You seem not to understand the concept.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


I agree with my colleagues. There is really no set time that you need to have it there before filing the I-864. You just need to prove that it's there. To avoid fraud issues, you'll need to leave it there throughout the process.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer