Skip to main content

I went to court in 2008 and had adjudication withheld for petit theft first offense can I buy a gun? also can I get my removed

Lakeland, FL |
Attorney answers 3


If you got a withhold you can petition to seal the record, but you cannot expunge it.

As to whether or not you (who is NOT a convicted felon) can legally purchase a gun I refer you to the following website:

I hope that this has been helpful and wish you the best of luck!

First, second and third: No attorney-client relationship exists by virtue of any Q&A with Michael A. Haber, Esq. on Avvo. Fourth: Anything that you post on Avvo (or on similar sites) or on any social media is by its nature public. It is essentially an admission / confession and can be introduced into evidence as a statement against your interest in a subsequent legal proceeding. Once posted you lose any reasonable expectation of privacy, so, as this is an open forum (with no privilege attached), please be extra careful when considering what to post online (forewarned is forearmed.)


I don't know of any state that bars the sale of a handgun based on a petit theft misdemeanor, even if convicted. Florida does not.

Getting your reord sealed can also be a time consuming process and requires some precision to make it go smoothly. Hire a lawyer to do the heavy lifting for you, but understand that while the court record may be sealed, the cyber world contains information about you that a court order won't cover.

Good Luck.

Every case and situation is different and my answers will vary greatly depending on the specific facts of each one. My answers are not to be considered complete answers to each question and do not constitute an attorney/client relationship. Always seek the advice if your own attorney. I am licensed only in the State of Florida and in federal courts. Florida Bar #337821, admitted 1982.


You can most likely purchase a gun. When to do, there will be a check with FDLE as to whether you can, and you have to pay for that. You can get the record sealed most likely. But you will need to retain an attorney for this. The public defender does not provide those services.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I make do not constitute legal advice. Any statements made by me are based upon the limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in Florida.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer