Skip to main content

I was videotaped having sex with a girl who was under 16 at the time. I myself was 18. I was not aware at the time.

Detroit, MI |
Attorney answers 3


The "age of consent" is the chronological age defined by law in which a person is permitted to engage in legal sexual activity with a partner who is also of the age of consent without the risk of prosecution for statutory rape.

In Michigan, the age of consent is 16.

What is statutory rape? Statutory rape is a crime in which the alleged perpetrator engages in sexual acts of any kind, including, but not limited to those involving penetration, with a person under the age of consent (a minor). It does not matter if the minor claims to have consented as Michigan law considers anyone under the age of 16 not mature enough to make the decision to have “consensual” sexual relations.

Anyone, even another minor, who engages in sex with someone under the Age of Consent, could be prosecuted for statutory rape.

The statute of limitations for certain sex crimes (criminal sexual conduct or CSC) involving a minor, including sexual abuse or assault of a minor is 10 years from the incident, or until the minor turns 21, whichever is later. Certain exceptions may apply when DNA evidence is involved.

I don't know your age but there is one possible exception to the requirement of public registration as a sex offender for a conviction of statutory rape that falls under the “Romeo & Juliet” law which took effect in Michigan on July 1, 2011. A person found guilty of statutory rape of a minor may be exempt from having his or her name registered publicly as a sex offender if the following legal requirements are met:

•The alleged victim was between the ages of 13 and 16; and

•There was no more than four years of age difference between the partners; and

•The sex act was consensual by the minor.

You need to hire a lawyer ASAP. A conviction, and in many cases just a charge, for criminal sexual conduct in Michigan can be life changing in a tragic way. If you don't have the money, there has never been a more important time for you to seek the assistance of friends and family.


It is very important for you to contact a local criminal attorney right away. You haven't indicated that they are charging you yet, but if they are, a criminal sexual conduct conviction will change your life. You need to get a competent attorney to help you stay off the sex offender registry and out of prison.


You need to get an attorney a.s.a.p. This is a very serious offense which carries a maximum prison term of up to 15 years in prison. It lands you in the sex offender registry as well. Unfortunately, ignorance of the girls age is NOT a defense to this crime.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer