Skip to main content

I was tricked into transporting drugs without my knowledge!!!

San Diego, CA |

I was asked by a "friend" to drive a car for him to certain location, We got pulled over and there was 20 lbs of marijuana, I HAD NO IDEA!!! I have a clean record, i'm a student I don't do drugs, Is there a chance I can get a small sentence or probation?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 11


If you had no knowledge of the marijuana you have a valid defense and are not guilty of the offense. You should hire a lawyer and fight the case as a conviction for transporting and/or possession of marijuana for sales could stay on your record permanently, in addition to possible jail time. Speak to some local experienced criminal lawyers as there are many of us here on AVVO who offer free consultation.

David M. Boertje, Esq.
(619) 229-1870

*Please note that this is not legal advice and in no way formed an attorney-client relationship*


I agree with Mr. Boertje. Why would you even be discussing getting a small sentence or probation when you claim to be completely innocent of the offense? If your position is genuine, you need to hire counsel immediately to defend you. After all, if your position is genuine that you had no knowledge, then it is likely that the government's evidence would be consistent with your position and permit a criminal defense lawyer to establish that defense.

The information provided herein does not create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided is to suggerst some general principles and should not be relied upon for client decisions. Only upon the hiring of counsel can such advice be custom-tailored to the client's specific situation and needs.


You did not mention whether your case is in state or federal court. This could be considered a serious offense that would stay on your record. If you are innocent you should fight the charges and an attorney can help. It sounds like you have mitigating factors to support your defense.


As suggested, these are serious charges, for which it sounds like you may have a complete defense. You should be speaking with one of us local AVVO San Diego area criminal defense attorney's who have experience in fighting these kind of charges. Most of us here on AVVO offer a free consultation, and you should hire the best experienced attorney that you can afford to help you fight this case.

I will be happy to speak with you at no cost with a FREE phone consultation if you have a San Diego or California matter. Please call my office at 619-238-1905 or visit my website at


You appear to be charged (likely in state court) with multiple felonies (transportation, and possession for sale of marijuana), The best thing you can do is hire the best locally experienced criminal defense attorney you can afford and stop making case specific statements about your case on public forums such as Avvo.

Good Luck!

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555


Sounds like you were an unwitting mule; dont be a fool; you are advised to consult a legal tool. Hire a local criminal attorney. Best of luck


You may have a complete defense to the charge, or at the very least mitigating circumstances that may radically reduce the consequences of the case. You should obtain a free consultation from a local defense attorney right away to ensure the best possible result.

Law Office of Andrew Limberg, APLC 380 S. Melrose Dr., #329 Vista, CA 92081 (760) 806-4381


Without knowledge of your possession the prosecution can't meet their burden across all of the elements. Please seek the advise of qualified counsel immediately.


Don't you hate it when you get tricked into transporting 20 pounds of marijuana? I'm sure that 20 pounds of marijuana DID NOT SMELL so how were you to know? And 20 pounds of marijuana, if it doesn't go federal, will get you a bucket load of time. Probation is a possibility although not a great one and formal probation for several years is a guarantee. Lots of luck.

The information and legal suggestions made herein do not in any way create an attorney-client relationship. The responses provided herein discuss general principles of law and should not be relied upon by the asker in making legal decisions. Only an attorney who has met with the asker and fully reviewed the facts and circumstances of the asker's individual case should be relied upon for legal advice. If you find my suggestions helpful, please mark the appropriate box as helpful.


There's a good chance of a good outcome if you quit making statements AND you contact and retain a good criminal defense attorney.

Law Offices of Jay S. Finnecy (619) 855-3003 or (760) 522-7006


If your story checks out during the DEA investigation, and if you cooperate with the authorities, the charges should be dropped. You definitely need a criminal defense attorney to assure the proper outcome.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer