Skip to main content

I was told my dad had left me some money when he passed away,I'd like to find out if he did,and how do I find out?

Jackson, TN |

he wasn't in my life but told my mom before he died he was going to leave me a trust or some type of money,I would like to find out if he really did and how much,I have know idea about how to go about finding out.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


If your father left you funds via his will, you will be contacted by either the Executor, his or her counsel, or the probate court, depending on the law of the state where your father resided at the time of his death. You may wish to retain counsel in your father's state to determine whether you have an interest in his assets and, if so, to protect said interest. Good luck to you.

This information is presented as a public service. It should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor considered to be the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. I am licensed in Connecticut and New York and my answers are based upon the law in those jurisdictions. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if I were to review a client's file and have the opportunity to interview the client. Accordingly, I strongly urge you to retain an attorney in your jurisdiction with respect to any legal matter.


You need to check with the probate court in the county where he died, owned land or resided to see if there are any documents on file. If so order these and have a probate attorney in the state in question review them. Also check unclaimed property in any state where he resided to see if some of his property passed to the state because it was not claimed by him.


In addition to the other correct responses, there are also services out there that will investigate on your behalf.

Matthew Johnson phone# 206.747.0313 is licensed in the State of Washington and performs bankruptcy, short sale negotiations, and estate planning in Whatcom, Skagit, Snohomish, King and Pierce counties. The response does not constitute specific legal advice, which would require a full inquiry by the attorney into the complete background of the facts and circumstances surrounding this matter; rather, it is intended to be general legal information based on the limited information provided by the inquirer; it This response also does not constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship, which can only be established after a conflict of interest evaluation is completed, your case is accepted, and a fee agreement is signed. Johnson Legal Group, PLLC


All of the other responses are correct. Probate court records are open to the public. They would be filed in the probate court of the county in which your father resided. Real estate with your name on it would be on record in the county where the real estate is located; and might be located by contacting or searching the web site of property assessors and tax collection authorities [who, in Tennessee, are the Property Assessor and the Trustee of the respective county]. However, I have found that often it is difficult or impossible to search by other than the first name listed in the data base. A trust or a bank account or securities account with your name on it may be private and not filed in the public record. Uncovering that would require more effort. Hiring a lawyer in that state would be helpful. Debrief your mother carefully because she may have clues that will make the search easier.

These comments do not constitute legal advice. They are general comments on the circumstances presented, and may not be applicable to your situation. For legal advice on which you may rely consult your own lawyer.