Skip to main content

I was thinking about going through an adoption agency & need legal help in what happens if I change my mind? More details below.

Thonotosassa, FL |

I was thinking about going through an adoption agency since I am pregnant and these agencies pay your rent, utilities etc so what happens if I change my mind before the birth? Will I get into trouble? Will they take the baby away from me?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Let's be clear here, no agency can physically take your baby from you. If you elect not to go through with the adoption, that's your choice. If, however, you sign an agreement and receive these payments, they can (and will) demand that you repay every penny - you don't get to take the money, change your mind, and then walk-away without some kind of consequence. Here, it will be a financial consequence - you'll owe a lot of money.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.


I agree with my colleague. If you have questions, I would make an appointment with the agency and ask all questions. There is a legal obligation to have an attorney explain all of your rights so you know and fully understand what you are giving up. Good luck.


You need to provide us with a copy of the contract you are supposed to sign. You should seek the advice of an attorney once you have same.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq.,


The payment of living or medical expenses by the prospective adoptive parents before the birth of the child does not, in any way, obligate the parent to sign the consent for adoption.


If you change your mind you are liable for the costs the agency paid on your behalf.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer