Skip to main content

I was terminated without warning for standing up for myself against bullying behavior. Can I collect unemployment benefits?

New Baltimore, MI |

I worked for this company for over 5 years. I was terminated without warning upon defending myself against the employer's improper conduct/verbal abuse. This company is known to fight against former employees collecting unemployment for any reason. Is it really possible for bullying in the workplace to be acceptable behavior? Am I not entitled to collect unemployment benefits?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Yes, you may file for unemployment benefits if you were terminated. If denied, you may appeal. Make sure you include documentation of what took place. Keep in mind that as of the first of the year, Michigan Unemployment Benefits have been reduced from a maximum of 26 weeks to a maximum of 20 weeks. Good Luck!

The comments listed here do not create an attorney-client relationship. The comments are for informational purposes only and are not to be considered legal advice. This attorney is only licensed in Michigan and does not give legal advice in any other state. All comments are to be considered conversational information and you should not rely on these comments as legal advice or in place of retaining an attorney of our own. The comments here are based solely on what you have provided and therefore are general in nature and with more specific facts or details a different answer or outcome could result. The legal system is not a perfect science and this attorney does not guarantee any outcome.


They can fight your unemployment. The real question is why were you discharged. I linked to my legal guide on unemployment. It will help provide some background information.

Attorney's answer to this question is given for informational purposes only. Every factual situation is different and changes the application of the law to those facts. You should not rely on the answer as advice for your situation. By answering this question, no attorney-client relationship is intentional created, nor should one be implied. Before taking any actions, you should consult with an attorney to advice you on your specific situation.