Skip to main content

I was taken to the hospital due to having suffered a seizure. I was ...

Toledo, OH |

... unresponsive until after I awoke at the hospital with an IV in my arm and a heart monitor attached to my chest.Being that I had just suffered a seizure I was very distraught and confused. At the hospital they ran quite a few test on me,and kept me for observation. Now that I have been released and am feeling better the bills are starting to be delivered (I have no insurance of any kind). Am I responsible to pay these bills? I do not remember sighing any paper work or giving my permission for any services.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

Yes, a person is responsible to pay for the reasonable value of emergency services. Uninsured patients are routinely billed outrageous sums. You should try to negotiate these bills down to a reasonable amount. If the providers will not work with you, then dispute the charges, and, if they sue, defend on the basis that the charges were unreasonable.

Lawrence A Friedman

Lawrence A Friedman


I agree with John but would add that some jurisdictions have programs that cover some or all of medical bills for uninsured patients of limited means. Therefore, I'd recommend consulting an elder law attorney to see whether help may be available to you. Also an elder law attorney may be more familiar than you with how to negotiate down the bills.


You may also contact the hospital to see if there is any type of charity care available for those without insurance. Many of the hospitals reduce the amount owed if you meet certain income guidelines. Contact the hospital's financial services counselor.


You received the service, and so you owe. Good think they did not wait until you woke up and signed befreo treating you. Hospitals are happier with some money than none, and will often negotiate payment plans.

We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.


Yes. Try to work out a payment plan, and it would be a good idea to get insurance.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


Most hospitals have a charity care policy. It will require you to provide your income and personal expenses, but it will also permit them to reduce your bill. You could also negotiate to the medicare rate, although many insurers now pay below medicare. The main thing is, you can negotiate the bill, don't let them tell you they don't.

If you find it difficult to negotiate, you could hire an attorney to do so for you.

I am licensed in New Mexico and Pennsylvania, and therefore any discussion of issues related to other states must considered within that context. In addition, my comments are not intended to create a legal representation but merely to respond to the limited facts presented by the question. Any opinion herein is not meant as a precise statement of legal rights or as a recommendation of any particular course of action. A more complete legal review can be obtained through local counsel.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer