Skip to main content

I was sexually abused at the age of 15 and then 16 by a 28 year old man and got pregnant 36 years ago in Nassau County, NY.

Glen Head, NY |

I raised the child on my own. She found her father 3 yrs. ago. His DNA test proves he is the father I have only now admitted to myself that my anxiety disorder is from this man. Can I press charges or have some sort of compensation?

+ Read More

Filed under: Child abuse
Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

As the other attorneys stated, it is beyond the statute of limitations for any civil redress. The law now removed the statute of limitations in certain types of sexual offenses, but I don't believe it would be applied to your case, as it was not enacted very long ago. Perhaps you could inquire with the the District Attorney's office. They are the only ones who could bring the prosecution anyway. I really don't think that you will get your day in court. I'm sorry about your situation.

This post does not constitute legal advice. It is meant to provide general education in this topic area. Readers are cautioned that they should consult with an attorney for legal advice specific to their issue. This post does not create an attorney-client relationship. The question and response are publicly displayed in this forum and nothing herein is to be deemed confidential. Mr. Green is available in Nassau County for consultation by calling (516) 345-8080 to make an appointment. Office hours are by appointment only.


I am sorry for what happened to you. To answer your question the answer is no too much time has elapesed and the statute of limitations has run.

This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.


No. The statute of limitations passed many years ago.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email -