Skip to main content

I was served divorce papers. I responded pro se, because I can't afford a lawyer, now I was sent a request for a preliminary c

Sayville, NY |

Conference , what do I do and how much time do I have I am trying to beg, borrow to come up with money.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


At the PC you will meet with the judge and your spouse's attorney. The judge will determine what issues are agreed upon and which are not. The judge will tell you and your spouse's attorney to exchange financial statements (statements of net worth) and perhaps other discovery. The judge will schedule another date to return for a compliance conference. At the PC you can ask the judge to adjourn so that you can return with your own attorney.


Usually you can get the court to postpone the first conference to give you more time to retain an attorney, but do not expect the court to give you more than a few weeks.


The time period from when you get a request for a Preliminary Conference (PC), until the conference itself can run about a month and a half to 2 months in Suffolk County. You should probably not go to a PC without an attorney. The Judge will urge you strongly to get one. The judge will set dates to complete discovery and decide whether experts are necessary, as well as see what issues are resolved. If you make the wrong decisions it may hamper your case later on. It's best to seek a local attorney.
Howard E. Knispel, Esq.
Commack, NY

The above is a general answer and is not considered legal advice. You should contact an attorney before proceeding to take any legal action, signing any papers or upon service of a summons. Howard E. Knispel 631-864-7589



Thank you


Schedule an appointment with an attorney to review your options. Prepare a statement of net worth which will list your assets and liabllities and your income and expenses. Gather up recent paystubs and tax returns.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer