Skip to main content

I was served a subpoena to appear in federal criminal court, need advice, should i obtain a lawyer

Brooklyn, NY |

no specific details was given to me by the detective, I was just told it has something to do with my previous arrest of over a year and months ago, that's already off my record
..subpoena states that I'm in alleged volition of title 21, united states code, section 846

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You certainly should consider consulting with an attorney. You want to know if you are a target of the investigation or just a witness. If you are unable to afford counsel you can see if court appointed counsel is available. Good luck.

This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.


You should retain a criminal defense lawyer. Do not make statements or testify without knowing what this is all about.

The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


You must proceed with extreme caution. Before making any statements, either hire an attorney or contact the federal public defender's office to see if you qualify for court-appointed counsel.


I suggest you review 21 U.S. Code 846 and that you speak with a federal criminal defense attorney without delay. I have provided a link to 21 U.S. Code 846 below.

The information provided is not intended to be legal advice, but merely conveys general information related to legal issues commonly encountered. The information is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or current. I make no warranty, expressed or implied, about the accuracy or reliability of the information. You should not act or rely on any information at above without seeking the advice of an attorney. The determination of whether you need legal services and your choice of a lawyer are very important matters that should not be based on websites or advertisement


Get a lawyer right away. Do not say anything without retaining a lawyer who can investigate the situation and advise you accordingly.

For more information please visit Unless a formal letter of engagement or retainer agreement has been entered into by and between the reader and the attorney this answer shall not be construed as official legal advice on any specific facts or circumstances. Its contents are intended for general information purposes only. No attorney-client relationship has been created.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer