Skip to main content

I was recently Incarcerated and while I was there I was forced, against my will, to take a lie detector test. Is this legal?

Philadelphia, PA |

I was threated with being held past my release date on a 30 days to 23 months sentence. Were my civil right violated?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


No it is not legal. You cannot be compelled to take a lie detector test nor are the results admissible in any Court proceeding

Stew Crawford, Jr., Esq.

Crawford Law Firm
A Full Service Law Firm Serving Pennsylvania & New Jersey

Philadelphia Area Office
223 North Monroe Street
Media, Pennsylvania 19063


All information provided in this comment is intended for informational purposes only and does not, by itself, create an attorney client relationship. If you wish to consult with an attorney, or have any questions concerning this comment, please feel free to contact our offices through any of the above contact sources.


This sounds disturbing. You should consult with a civil rights attorney to see if they are interesting in filing a Federal claim on your behalf.


I agree completely with Attorney Crawford. You can not be compelled/coerced to submit to a polygraph examination and the results are not admissible. You should not talk with any law enforcement officers or agree to anything else requested of you by them. I would also suggest that you reach out to your attorney on this.


I agree with my colleagues. The results are not admissible. Whether you have a civil rights claim and whether you will recover anything is another issue. If you were held in prison longer as a result of this, you may have a good case. However, if this did not effect your case or your release date, then there may not be much if any recovery. Speak to a civil rights attorney for more details.

This is not intended as individual legal advice and there is no attorney client relationship established by this answer. It is advisable that you seek individualized legal assistance. This is not a substitute for hiring an attorney.


It really does not sound right at all as my colleagues have said you need to contact a civil rights attorney. By any chance were you incarcerated as a result of a probation violation for a sex crime or Megans law reporting crime?

This information does not create an attorney /client relationship and should not be use or relied upon to make any decision in your case. Only consultation with your own attorney can provide you with the advice you need for your case.


Schedule a free consultation with a civil rights attorney in the Philadelphia area. Good luck.