Skip to main content

I was recently charged with manufacturing marijuana, and am currently seeking pro bono representation on the charge.

Cartersville, GA |

Only two plants were siezed. I have already proved that my intentions were of personal nature. Still they're seeking a sentence of 10 years to serve 2, with an additional $10,000 fine. Is there any way I might could plea out to a lesser charge. Possibly a Simple possession or something of that nature. They are seeking the max on this charge and I have not yet been indicted on the charge. Any suggestions?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Without a lot more information (which you shouldn't post on a public site like Avvo, where everybody, including the cops, can read it), it's impossible to give any sort of realistic assessment of your case.

Do not talk to anyone about this case except your lawyer. If you cannot afford an attorney, you can ask the judge to appoint the Public Defender. Some very good lawyers are Public Defenders (though they tend to have heavy caseloads and can't always give clients the personal attention they want).

If you are charged in Federal court, the Federal Defender's office represents defendants who can't afford attorneys.

One of America's most famous lawyers, President Abraham Lincoln, said "A lawyer's time and advice are his stock in trade." Most people who would never think of asking a doctor, plumber or mechanic to work for free, but think it's okay for lawyers because they use a Latin term. (Pro bono means "for good.")

Since lawyers have nothing to sell but their time and experience, most can't afford to give much of it away. Those who do provide some pro bono service usually do it through organized programs, not to random people who just call on the phone.

Please understand that this is a general discussion of legal principles by a California lawyer and does not create an attorney/client relationship. It's impossible to give detailed, accurate advice based on a few sentences on a website (and you shouldn't provide too much specific information about your legal matter on a public forum like Avvo, anyway). You should always seek advice from an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction who can give you an informed opinion after reviewing all of the relevant information.