I was recently caught stealing from walmart and have no prior offenses at all on my record. what is the worst possible outcome?

Beaver Falls, PA |

i was caught stealing and was the first time. i have no criminal history. walmart took my information and the cops ran my license to make sure i had no warrants. they left and walmart said i would be expecting something in the mail regarding my court date. im currently in school and will be working for the FAA. this was an honest mistake and a lesson learned. will this be on my record and what are the possible outcomes. i would be much appreciative of a good response.

Best Answer

You have options available, retain a criminal defense attorney to help you through this as an offense on your record can have long lasting negative effects.

The above answer is for information only; and does NOT constitute legal advice. This answer does not constitute, nor does it create, an attorney-client relationship between KaplunMarx, PLLC, Theodor Kapun and any receiver. The information provided on these pages is general only, and you should not act upon this information without consulting with a qualified attorney.

i have not yet been convicted for any offenses, is it possible they will not press any charges and just fine me

Theodor Kaplun

Theodor Kaplun

Possible, see what you are sent in the mail.

i really do appreciate it, thank you again

Theodor Kaplun

Theodor Kaplun

My pleasure, if you could mark my answer as best answer that would be appreciated as well.

When you receive the court papers in the mail, plead not guilty and ask for a hearing. Then retain an experienced criminal defense attorney. The attorney will explore all options for you to avoid a conviction. Good luck.

will i have to get an attorney? what is the best possible situation to avoid this going on my record and being able to proceed with my career with the faa

Frank Mascagni III

Frank Mascagni III

You should hire a criminal defense attorney to represent you. Theft is a crime of "moral turpitude" and can have far ranging affects. Get counsel.

William A. Jones Jr.

William A. Jones Jr.

Absolutely correct. Start talking to local lawyers.

The penal consequences won't be severe. At most maybe probation and a fine. But the collateral consequences could be more severe, like employment consequences. Get an attorney and fight the charges. (by the way theft is not an "honest" mistake. If you did it, its a crime.)

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

Probation.

This response is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. The response is intended, but not promised or guaranteed to be current, complete, or up-to-date. Transmission of the information is not intended to create, and the receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship between Mark D. Copoulos, Esquire and any party. The responses provided on this website are offered only for general informational and educational purposes. They are not offered as and do not constitute legal advice or legal opinions. You should not act or rely on any information contained in these responses without first seeking the advice of an attorney.