Skip to main content

I was recently caught shoplifting at Walmart with an item worth $29. I am 16 and this is my first offense. What can I expect?

San Antonio, TX |

Walmart took down my information and the police "arrested" me but I never left the Walmart premises and was released to my parents when they arrived

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If you are charged with theft by the D.A.'s office, you will need to hire a lawyer that practices in the area of juvenile law. Because the merchandise is under $50 it is a class C misdemeanor. A lawyer will be able to evaluate the case and assist you with obtaining the best possible outcome. Good luck.

The information provided is not advice but a legal perspective and you should schedule a consultation with the lawyer of your choice.


A ticket for a theft under fifty dollars will be prosecuted by the city attorney's office in municipal court. You can fight it or go to the court and ask for deferred adjudication probation. Don't just pay the fine and take a conviction/adjudication.


Make sure you hire a lawyer as soon as possible. You don't want this theft case haunting you for the rest of your life. A good lawyer will be able to set this case up so that you can have it expunged from your record. once you are done.

This answer is general information only and is not legal advice, does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should NOT be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer