Skip to main content

I was rear ended 3days ago

Austin, TX |

My wife, daughter and I were in the vehicle at a complete stop, when he hit us at about 40-45 mph. It's $4,500 in damages to my car and he hit me in a company truck.. I have a lower lumbar Sprain, and pulled muscles .. My wife has pulled muscles and ligaments.. My daughter hit her head but no concussion. He was cited for failure to maintain speed. Do I need to get a lawyer.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 12


I handle cases like this and yues, you should get a lawyer. Most lawyers, like myself, handle this on a contingency fee basis with no up front cost to you (lawyers don't get until you get paid). They also do free consultations for the most part. A lawyer can help with getting med bills paid, repairs done, and compensation for pain and suffering. Good luck!

This does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. I am only licensed to practice law in Texas, California, and Missouri, but will associate with local counsel to handle matters in other states.


You will want to make sure you don't have any lingering medical problems that can linger when you get in a wreck. A personal injury attorney can make sure that the insurance company doesn't settle for less than your claim is worth. You would be well advised to seek out an attorney early on so they can ensure that it is handled properly to make sure you all get better.

I am licensed to practice law in the great state of Texas only. The above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state.


Yes, you need an attorney. Use Avvo's search feature to find a personal injury attorney in your area.




You do not legally need an attorney, but to protect yourself and your daughter you absolutely need a qualified personal injury litigation attorney! Good luck and feel better.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


Here is a video and article that answers your exact question:

To get more information on Texas car accident issues, go here:

Don't give any recorded statements, and don't sign anything, before you talk to a Board Certified injury lawyer. An attorney can also help you with medical treatment issues.

To learn what "Board Certification" means, go here:

Vuk Stevan Vujasinovic, Board Certified, Highest Possible "10" AVVO Rating (877 ) 724-7800


I would get a lawyer. There are many things that a lawyer can help with, including helping obtain the best value for the case, negotiating with the insurance company and making sure that all of your doctor's bills are paid out of the settlement funds.

Call Clark toll free for a free consultation on your TX, NM or AZ case. 877-565-6753. Harmonson Law Firm, P.C. accepts cases throughout TX, NM and AZ. No attorney-client relationship is established by S. Clark Harmonson / Harmonson Law Firm, P.C.'s reply to your query on AVVO. The reply provided is general in nature and should not be construed as specific legal advice under any circumstances. The only manner in which an attorney-client relationship can be established with S. Clark Harmonson / Harmonson Law Firm, P.C. is through a written fee agreement signed by S. Clark Harmonson / Harmonson Law Firm, P.C.


The answer is yes. With that much damage, and injuries, you will do much better with a lawyer even after paying a percent as attorney fees. Insurance companies always try to low ball unrepresented victims, and if the damages are slight, you might still come out about the same since you don't pay attorneys. But when there are significant injuries, the difference is great enough to justify hiring the attorney.

This is not legal advice. You should always discuss the specifics of your issue in person with an attorney. Be aware that there are time limits on all claims that depend on the kind of claim, so do not delay in seeking an attorney.


I think you MUST get a lawyer. Most of the issues your family is about to deal with, our better suited for someone with experience in handling these cases. Find someone who specializes in car wreck cases.

None of the opinions above should be considered legal advice, until I have had the opportunity to review the actual facts of the case.


Get a local personal injury lawyer to get maximum compensation for your injuries. Avvo has a terrific "find a lawyer" tool to find a low fee lawyer in your city. Good luck.


Hire a personal injury attorney as soon as possible.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice. Mr. Leroi answers questions on Avvo because he strongly believes in public service from his years as a judge, magistrate, and prosecutor. If you need to ask any follow up questions because my answer did not fully address your question, feel free to call Chris or post an additional question. Thank you.


You absolutely should get a lawyer right away. The first few days after an accident are to most crucial. This is the time when the claims are getting reported to the insurance companies and you will probably be contacted to give a recorded statement. This is also the time when getting the proper medical attention is very important. A good lawyer will protect you from unwittingly hurting you own case and will handle all the legal aspects that arise. All you will have to worry about is keeping your doctor's appointments. Follow the link about the importance of hiring a lawyer for your personal injury case.