Skip to main content

I was pulled over for speeding in New York State, by a Nys Trooper. On the back of the ticket it says that I can plead

Katonah, NY |

Not guilty and request a "supporting disposition" ..What exactly does that entail? And if I do request that along with pleading not guilty..Does it mean that the state trooper who gave me the ticket "Has" to be present at the court for my court date? And does it mean he has to bring in more evidence to justify me guilty for speeding? Last but not least..Is it more likely that my ticket will either A) Be dismissed because I requested a supporting disposition or B) My ticket will be reduced to a lower violation with no points? Also, what if the state trooper does not show up to court? Can I ask the judge to dismiss my case? Or is it up to the prosecutor?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


A Supporting Deposition is a written document the Trooper fills out explaining what he alleges you did wrong. I suggest you consult with a local attorney because there was a time when Troopers would not offer a reduced plea if you asked for the Supporting Deposition. I don't know if that policy is still in effect.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


Answers in serium: Police report, yes if you fight the ticket, not necessarily, yes and yes, it works in your favor, yes, and not really.


There are not necessarily definitive answers to your questions. Requesting a supporting deposition may help, if you fail to get one, or hinder, if you do and the PO does not want to reduce the charges. It all depends on the location, the charge etc. The ultimate decision to dismiss a ticket, for any reason, lies with the Judge. An attorney who handles these matters regularly, such as myself, can better navigate through this all.


The answer to some of you questions "depends" upon the agency and local jurisdiction and even the judge. Rather than dealing in generalisms, consult a local traffic attorney.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.


The whole supporting deposition issue is very complex and why we go to law school for 3 years and then get paid to interpret and explain to the public. A more substantive answer I cannot give without consulting with you; and I cannot consult with you unless I am paid to do so. Well, actually, I COULD consult with you without being paid, but I wouldn't because if I did what's the point of being in business?

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer