Skip to main content

I was pulled over for not having proof of insurance an the officer kept my license how do i get it back?

Rutland, VT |
Attorney answers 5


You will appear in court. You will either pay the fine OR win the court case. Either way, you will get your license back.


You might want to post this elsewhere as it is labeled land/use zoning so generally the wrong attorneys will be seeing your question.


You'll appear in court on the date indicated. If you do have insurance, you should probably plead not guilty and ask for a "supporting deposition" if the MV ticket laws in VT are similar to NY.

If you go to the hearing, you may be lucky and the cop may not show or the supporting deposition wasn't filed and they'll probably throw the ticket out.

While you'll probably remember to carry proof of insurance, a more critical question is WERE YOU INSURED at the time of the stop, regardless of whether you could produce proof at the time. If you were, be sure to take the proof to the court date and the ticket will probably be thrown out. If you were not, you'll probably be facing a hefty fine and your license or registration may be suspended or revoked. Even if that doesn't happen at the hearing, the DMV obviously can check that and send you a letter charging you with a fine (sometimes charged based on the number of days you were driving without insurance, which could be a hefty fine).

In other words, if you had insurance, no biggie. If not, you're in a heap of trouble and you should probably hire a lawyer if you want to keep your license or registration. There are plenty in Rutland that handle this kind of MV case. You can use Avvo or Google to find one.

This answer is provided under the “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".


He should not have retained your license make a formal civilian complaint.


I don't know the law in Vermont, but in California, you go to a hearing at the DMV to get your license back; then you will usually have to have your day in court, but if it is a simple matter of not having the proof with you, that usually will suffice if you bring it in.

This response is not to be construed as establishing an attorney-client relationship, and provides general information on the subject at hand only.