Skip to main content

I was present during a drug bust. I was not charged with anything but they seized $1000 of my money. Can I get it back?

Redford, MI |

They gave me a notice of seizure with intention to forfeit notice. The bond is $250.00.

+ Read More

Filed under: Criminal defense
Attorney answers 4


Not nearly enough information to specifically answer the question. You need to talk with one or more attorneys in your area who are qualified criminal defense attorneys with experience in drug defense and civil forfeiture. You should not provide additional information on a public website. Communicate only with counsel. Depending upon the underlying facts you may be at risk for drug charges yourself.


If you were not charged with a crime, the police suspicion that it was "drug money" can be overcome assuming you can trace the money in your possession. Get an attorney to contest the seizure and request a hearing if not released by the police or prosecutor.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..


It is possible if you post the bond in a timely manner. If you do not post the bond within the time period on the intention to forfeit bond you will never get your money back. If you post the bond there is a chance that they will try and negotiate a settlement with you to allow you to keep a portion of the money. If you post the bond, and follow the proper legal procedures, you can challenge the forfeiture in Court to try and get the entire amount back.


I agree with the prior answers. Also, you generally have 20 days from the date you were served to post the bond and contest the forfeiture (MCL 333.7523), so if you intend to fight it, you should contact an attorney immediately.